1 pound Heartland Family Farm ground beef
1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
1 large carrot, julienned (1 cup)
3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs red or heirloom tomatoes, fresh or frozen, thawed
2 cups Heartland Family Farm Cannellini beans, cooked including 1/2 c liquid
2 cups Heartland Family Farm Hidatsa Red Indian Bean, cooked including 1/2 c liquid
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce (or homemade from your stash of summer CSA tomatoes!)
2 cups vegetable juice (organic V 8 type)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 pound (1/2 pkg.) ditali pasta
1. Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Drain off most of the fat.
2. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
4. About 50 minutes into the simmering, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.
5. Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more and serve.